[Zope] Zope Good/Bad News Article

Brian Lloyd brian@digicool.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:15:17 -0500

> Just read your article (http://www.pault.com/zope.html)  and really
> enjoyed it (besides comparing Java to Macs... yikes!). I agree that
> DC needs to really work with Zope Product Developers and help them as
> much as possible.

Have you looked at the Zope Directions document recently
posted on dev.zope.org?

http://dev.zope.org/Resources/ZopeDirections.html

Dramatically lowering the bar for developers to create quality
components is our number one priority going forward. It will
be evolutionary and not happen all at once, but it will be
happening.

> DC should encourage and then force developers to be a bit better
> about documentation. I have seen product developers put up a  new
> product with the full amount of documentation about it being "here it
> is... have fun." This certainly does not help all of those people who
> want to install and use Zope products. DC can encourage better
> product development and documentation by doing simple things such as
> T-shirt contest for best product documentation, tip, how-to and all
> the rest.

One idea we've kicked around is to make the eventual
"components area" on zope.org such that component users
can provide some +1 -1 type feedback that is incorporated
into the way that components are listed on the site. This
would let the most popular / best components appear at
the top of listings etc.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909