[Zope] Proposal: Include tino's patched <dtml-in> in future Zope

Curtis Maloney curtis@cardgate.net
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:06:51 +1100

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:04, Didier Georgieff wrote:

> Honestly I started to use (and learn) Zope for a big project without
> any Python knowledge, and made use of existing Products, new
> ZClass (not python) and DTML.
>
> This allowed me to show really *quickly* a good functionnal product
> (actually this is still in use), quite *simply* (for me), and now that
> i've convinced people about how great Zope is and what can be
> done, i'm able to request evolutions (and some reingineering) and a
> more "professional" developement process using Python where it
> *should* be.

I think you've hit on a really good point here.   DTML allows, imho, much
more rapid development.  Once you have that working, you can move over to
more sophisticated or faster solutions in Python.  But if you need it done
quickly, DTML is the go.  (Although, Python[Methods|Scripts] has changed the
scales somewhat... mostly for TTW editing.)

Hey, wasn't Python originaly designed for the "Write once, throw away"
development model?  A prototyping language?

> This is the great thing about Zope : You can do lot of efficient work
> with tools fitting your knowledge, and move smoothly to the next
> expertise level (or request some people to move for you).

Did that.  Did it again.  And again... and plan to keep on doing it. (o8

> I (and other people as well ;-)) don't consider my myself as a good
> developper, but more as a end user with a good knowledge, and i
> still can use a big part of Zope Zen.
> IMHO this aspect is quite essential to let the maximun different
> people go with Zope. No need to understand ZPattern (i just can't ;-
> ) to make smart products.
>
> Didier.

Have a better one,
	Curtis Maloney