[Zope] Can Zope handle this project?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:10:26 +0100 (CET)

iap_y2fun.com writes:
 > I was asked to propose a solution for a insurance company.
 > This comany has:
 > 20,000,000 records of insurance contracts,
 > 7,000,000  records  of accounts,
 > 60,000       records  of products,
 > The storages required for the above records amount to 200GB.
 > This system is built for the agents which amount to 25,000 persons.
 > The estimated traffice is 100,000 page views/day.
 > The Platform doubtless is Linux or *Unix.
 > ***I would like to adapt zope to slove this problem. ***
 > I has experienced ZEO to handle hige traffic site, but in this case it seems
 > that the ZODB is the key dancer.
 > My question are:
 > A) If it is possible for a Data.fs grows up to 200GB? ( Mounted fs?)
 > B) Can "BTree Folder" handle 20 million of objects in a single folder? If
 > not, how many ?
 > C) Can ZCatalog handle 20 millions of objects (indexed fields could up to
 > 200 millions)?
 > Any suggestion is appreciated.
I expect the data is now in a database.

I would leave it there (or put it there, if not yet there).

Data.fs might grow in principle to 200 GB, but I think of this
as a horror szenario. This huge file would be in a single partition
(I doubt, Unix supports files spread over several partitions).
Doubt that you have such large partitions.

When Zope starts, it builds an index for "Data.fs".
While the index is much smaller than the file itself,
it still will be huge and it is held in memory.
Do not do this!

My confidence in ZCatalog is limited, too. You have to carefully
choose the commit granularity.

I, definitely, would go for a standard database solution
and use Zopes excellent database integration to interface
with the data in the database.

Dieter