[Zope] MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc

Donald Braman donald.braman@yale.edu
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:39:05 -0500

It is nice that Postgres is close to SQL standards compliance. If I have to
learn a db language, it may as well be real SQL. I also like the on-line
official Postgres on-line manual much more than MySQLs (though I just
ordered Paul Paul DuBois MySQL book which gets rave reviews). One thing that
MySQL *does* have that is attractive to me (please feel free to laugh at my
pathetic state) is a GUI. Now, for a dope like me who resides, whenver
possible, in GUI land, that is a nice feature. But, I'm also not a fool, and
it sounds like (at least from the responses I've gotten so far) it is
probably worth my while to learn SQL and Postgres from the command line and
save myself headaches down the road. So I have two follow up questions...

1. Documentation will be important to me...are there good references out
there beyond the Postgres (on-line/hard copy) manual that I could look at?

2. Is there any GUI project for Postgres out there?

-Don

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Moon [mailto:richard.moon@nec.ac.uk]
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001 7:39 AM
To: zope@zope.org; donald.braman@yale.edu
Subject: re:[Zope] MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc

Ease of Use - not quite sure what you mean by that, but the features
available in PostgreSQL make it easier to code SQL that does what you want
it to. Features such as Unions and Subqueries help you get at your data
easily, features such as Views, Triggers and Stored Procedures are used to
make databases consistent and secure - which I guess makes them easier to
use !