[Zope] MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc

Fred Yankowski fred@ontosys.com
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:31:10 -0600

PostgreSQL does work OK on Win32.  I'm using it right now supporting
several Zope sites on NT 4.  (I would have preferred Linux, but got
free use of an NT system on the net, so I went with that.)

PostgreSQL *is* a bit of a pain on NT:

  It depends on Cygwin.

  It depends on an 'ipc-daemon' process running in the background.

  It's tricky to set up ipc-daemon and the postmaster (PostgreSQL
  daemon) processes as NT services.

  Some PostgreSQL tools such as pgaccess are hard to build on NT.

  I've only been able to access PostgreSQL from Zope via ODBC.

OTOH:

  Cygwin is easy to install.

  We've done some work to make it easy to install ipc-daemon as a
  service.

  A project is underway to get PostgreSQL running directly as an NT
  service.  It currently needs a wrapper like 'srvany' or 'invoker'.

  ODBC suffices for my Zope sites, at least so far.

--
Fred Yankowski           fred@OntoSys.com      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370