[Zope] extensions (.html .gif), security, and multilanguage sites

CARL ROBERT BLESIUS crb@uni-hd.de
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:30:38 +0100

Hello!

We are creating free internet based public health resource, which will be
module based and tailored, covering a wide range of diseases. The first will
be a skin cancer module.

I am really excited about Zope, it seems to be just what the doctor ordered
(no pun intended).

Some general Zope beginner questions:

  - file extensions... will we have problems programming
    with python if we use extensions (e.g. index.html
    melanoma.jpg) in Zope 2.3 or is there a way around it?
    We do not want to confuse users (index_html!?).
  - the sites we are building will be multilingual (e.g.
    titles in 4 languages) what is the best way to deal
    with this (we want to use the templating power of
    Zope => Language of content determines template)?

A ZClass with customized DTML Documents and DTML Methods which have special
properties? The properties that come to mind at the moment are:
 - Language
 - Template (According to branch of site and language)
 - Author
 - Author email
 - Publish (Yes or No)

One concern for example is the multilingualism of breadcrumbs and site maps
(we want them to be dynamically generated).

  -Security - any tips on security? When using the tree function for example
how do I prevent certain folders from being listed? What is important when
running zope as far as security goes? Where do I watch for security problems
with zope?

Anyone have good ideas or experience?

Please any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Carl Blesius
www.dermis.net and www.med.uni-heidelberg.de
cblesius@ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de

P.S. Are there any qualified Zopitistas out there who would be willing to
answer questions like the ones above and provide some practical suggestions
(We need some experienced help at the start of our project to help with some
concrete problems and this mailing list is to big to ask questions on a
regular basis)? If so please contact me: cblesius@ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
and I will provide some more detailed information.