[Zope] New Riders to publish The Zope Book

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:08:48 -0800 (PST)

New Riders to publish "The Zope Book"

  As many of you know, Amos Latteier and I have spent the last year
  working with O'Reilly and Associates writing a book about Zope.
  Recently, O'Reilly decided not to publish the book.

  We took the book to a number of different publishers, all of whom
  showed a lot of interest in publishing it.  After lots of discussion
  and review of our options, we have decided to go with New Riders
  Publishing.  We think is a great choice for us, for Zope, and for
  the Zope community.

  New Riders is a great publishing company, and we have been very
  impressed with their line-up of high quality, open source oriented
  books.  Amos and I are really excited to become NR authors, and to
  have our works placed alongside other great NR books.

  One of our main reasons for going with NR was their enthusiasm to
  publish the book under an open content license.  Starting today,
  *The Zope Book* is licensed under the Open Publication License v1.0
  (http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/) with none of the restrictive
  license options chosen.

  These new licensing terms means that we can we begin to distribute
  the book in several different downloadable formats, and that you,
  the reader, can use the book content in a free and open manner in
  accordance with OPL guidelines.  We will also be providing the book
  in raw, structured text format from a publicly available CVS archive
  so that community members can contribute patches directly to the
  book, and other great documentation projects we will be announcing
  soon!

  At this point, it is difficult for us to talk about firm timelines,
  but we hope to have the book on the shelves by early June.  NR is
  very commited to providing us with extensive editorial resources,
  and the next couple of months are going to be really exciting!

  For those of you who participted in our free, signed book contest,
  don't worry, you'll still get your signed copy, it will just look a
  little different that what you expected. ;)

  I have uploaded the newest version of the book to
  Zope.org.  We have been waiting for the publication deal to happen
  before we did this, and now that all that is taken care of you will
  be seeing lots of changes to the book, and hopefully some more
  useful downloadable formats in the near future.  The book can be
  found on the Zope.org website at http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/ZB/.

  Once again, thanks for all your comments and support.  Without all
  those eyes out there looking at our work, it would not be what it is
  today, and hopefully it will only continue to get better thanks to
  you and the friendly folks at New Riders.

-Michel Pelletier