[Zope] Apache+SSL+ZServer+LoginManager = S L O W ?

J B Bell cipher@redback.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:56:54 -0800

After some weeks of exhausting development, I finally have a setup running
with Zope that allows me to change Unix passwords with what I hope is some
semblance of security.  However, it's nightmarishly slow.

Specs:
Apache 1.3.14 w/mod_ssl (ssl 0.9.5a)
Zope 2.3.0
Python 1.5.2
LoginManager 0.8.8b1
ZPatterns 0.4.3b2

Following the ZServer+Apache+SSL tutorial closely, I do eventually get
a login page from LoginManager; the pictures seem to be part of what is
slow.  I get this tantalizing clue from my apache logfiles:

"GET //p_/ZopeButton HTTP/1.0"

All pages load up with nearly unbelievable slowness, often exhibiting speeds
that creep down & down, though they do eventually load.  Loading directly
from the zope server is as quick as ever.

If anyone has any clues, please let me know, I'm all ears.

--JB (TQuid on #zope)