[Zope] Core Session Tracking kudos & namespaces

Bob Sidebotham bob_sidebotham@yahoo.com
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 21:25:37 -0800 (PST)

And as I've just figured out by trying to convert some stuff to
sessions, a not unconsequential result of allowing session variables to
be acquired (if only for read purposes), is that existing code is
easier to adapt. I might now call a script without burying form
variables or parameters in the URL. If I use implicit acquisition
(where the posted form data and URL data is read FIRST), then I can
gracefully upgrade these scripts without changing anything. With the
current scheme I have to go and search out all occurences of variables
like "customer_id" and change them to session syntax.

So I guess I'm arguing that the read case and write cases are
fundamentally different, that you basically want to support the
introduction of session variables into the namespace for read purposes
through acquisition, and it's (marginally) OK if read/write don't share
the same syntax.

Bob