[Zope] Re: Leaking Oracle connections & processes

Shai Berger shai@aristocart.com
Mon, 08 Jan 2001 12:14:22 +0200

Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Shai Berger writes:
>  > ... excess Oracle processes and zombies ...
> I have checked our installation and can confirm that
> both problems have gone.
>
> We do not yet know what caused the excess Oracle processes.
> After an increase of Zope's ZODB cache and an upgrade
> to the newest DCOracle, the problem simply went away.

Do you have a DCOracle version later than 1.3.2?
We use 1.3.2; we have increased the cache from 400 (the default) to
1000, to no avail. Our ZODB size, last I checked, was ~40M. I
remember you mentioning that yours was less then 10M, I think; how
much cache do you use?

> We do know what caused our zombie processes:
> a bug in the Oracle Java runtime library:
> they had added a "NOWAIT" flag to their "wait" calls.
> This ensured that a "wait" call does not release
> the Zombie child but keeps it in its state.
> As a consequence,
> each process started from Java became a Zombie
> process.

Zope starts Oracle processes from Java??? All the zombies we see are
Zope-spawned... a Zope zombie-collection problem has been reported
independently of Oracle.

> As Oracle reported, the problem was introduced in 8.1.6
> and should be fixed in 8.1.7.

...which confuses me, because we use 8.0.5.

Thanks,
	Shai.