[Zope] ZDESIGN IDEAS = How to improve 'manage' ?

Spicklemire, Jerry Jerry.Spicklemire@IFLYATA.COM
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 14:53:27 -0500

Jason mentioned :

> The need to improve the manage interface has grown urgently
>  clear to me while using Zope myself, designing for all sorts
> of community and collaborative Zope-based projects, demos for
> a number of innocent bystanders, interested parties and
> potential clients. Zope 'manage' is plain primitive at present.

(and lot's more)

Though I haven't seen much in the way of details, the link below may overlap
to some degree:

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ManagementInterfaceQuickFix/Front
Page

and from the looks of :

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ManagementInterfaceQuickFix/Curre
ntStatus

things seem to be moving ahead.

There are so many projects it's not really possible to stay on top of it
all, at least for me. Keep in mind that PTK is rapidly approaching v. 1.0,
and for what you have described as your project range, that may have a huge
impact.

See:

 http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-web/2001-January/000275.html

especially:

> However it sounds like what you really want is the PTK:
>
>  http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/
>
> The CVS version of PTK is more friendly to WebDAV, especially when >
combined with Zope 2.3's ability to run on a "source port" (that
> is, a port where GET requests don't render the document).  I
> believe Martijn will be working on getting HiperDOM templates as a
> content type for PTK.
>
> With this you can have resources that have to go through a simple
> role-based approval system.
>
> I'm really looking forward to the next six or so weeks when the
> dust settles on all this.

Later,
Jerry S.