[Zope] Calling other frames (OT)

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:25:46 +0100

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 12:51:01PM +0100, Oliver Bleutgen wrote:
> > I think probably Javascript is the 'cleanest' solution in this case,
> > but depending on the complexity of your UI another non-JS approach is
> > to make every link target the topmost frome (e.g., target="_top") and
> > redraw all frames in the frameset on each 'click'. This way you know
> > that all frames reflect the latest situation, but it can be annoying
> > to see the whole browser redraw every time you do anything. However,
> > if your browser doesn't *do* Javascript.... (so long as it does do
> > frames.... hmm.. how likely is that?) then it would at least work....
>
> There' s always the possibility that people disable javascript -
> and checking for instance http://www.guninski.com/browsers.html
> I would say they have reason to do so.
>
> My take is that one should at least provide a non-javascript alternative
> to browse the site. This also helps with search-engines....

The site I pointed to uses JavaScript to highlight your current position
in the site, by swapping images. The cross-frame js code is used to keep
the highlighting in sync with the content frame, even when using
hyperlinks that take you to a idfferent section of the site, or when you
are using your browsers history function.

When a visitor with JavaScript switched off visits the site, navigation
still works. Only the highlighting will cease to support visitors in
keeping tab on where in the site they are.

--
Martijn Pieters