[Zope] Object DB versus Relational DB

Farrell, Troy troy.farrell@wilcom.com
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:14:31 -0600

Maybe you need an ORDB (Object-Relational DB) like postgresql.  PGSQL
supports Inheritance:
http://www.postgresql.org

Troy

-----Original Message-----
From: Luciano Ramalho [mailto:luciano@hiper.com.br]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 6:12 AM
To: Tom Deprez
Cc: Rik Hoekstra; zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Object DB versus Relational DB

ZODB with Data.fs is optimized to fetch data. Inserts or updates have a
lot of overhead. It's the price we pay for the excellent versioning
features. Therefore, when the are many  we have been avoinding ZODB even
when the problem domain calls for an OODB

We have implemented a highly hierarchical database for a Yahoo-like
directory using a recipe found in the book SQL for Smarties, by Joe
Celko, ISBN 1-55860-323-9 (see Chapter 26 - Trees).

Celko's solutions allow for a hierarchy with unlimited levels and,
amazingly, it does not require sub-selects or any other construct
unsupported by MySQL.

The rest of the book is filled with solutions to problems that test the
limits of the relational database model.

Best regards,

Luciano Ramalho