[Zope] [OT] Disagreement (was Re: Ithy trigger....)

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario@ita.chalmers.se
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:26:29 +0100

Bill Andersson wrote:

> Be that as it may, it still does not constitute a flame-war.

True. We are not having a flamewar. Yet. However, as I am sure you yourself
have experienced, licensing issues/discussions in Open Source contexts
require no more than a few heated mails to degenerate into a Flame War.
Surely you have been around long enough to see this happen (in fact you were
around this list's latest big hoopla about the GPL in September of last
year. 44 mails about "Zope and the GPL poison pill" in 3 days, 11 various
follow ups). Allready this thread has generated 16 mails so far, not
including this one.

> > Imagine the consequences of having the spooky ghost of the License Horse
> > roaming about... *BRRRR*
>
> Or worse, the fear of saying something in disagreement, for fear of being
> labelled a flame war starter.

Well, I disagree ;^), the issue here is not really whether it is allowed or
not to disagree. Of course it is allowed to disagree (which is exactly what
I am doing now), and disagreement is good: it makes you think about your
opinions one time more.

License issues (or wars) are just not on the topic of this list. And neither
is this post, so I'll stop right now :-)

/dario

btw: humour was intended in my last post, even if not obvious. sorry about
that.