[Zope] debugging help needed

Irene Barg ibarg@as.arizona.edu
Mon, 02 Jul 2001 09:31:40 -0700

Hello all,

I'm trying to parse input from a form to convert all string
input to upper-case, before passing it on to a SQL method.
So I created a DTML method to do this.  In this 2nd DTML
method, I call a ZSQL method to obtain the table's column
names, then use the column names to access the corresponding
values in the REQUEST.  I must not be implementing indirect
variable lookup correctly, because the script below produces
the following error.  How do I debug this?  Thanks.

Zope Error

          Error Type: TypeError
          Error Value: read-only character buffer, instance

My DTML method looks like this:

<dtml-var standard_html_header>
<dtml-comment>
Loop over fieldnames in the family table,
to lookup corresponding values in the REQUEST,
then convert all lower-case values to upper-case.
</dtml-comment>

Before: firstmiddle=<dtml-var firstmiddle>

<dtml-with get_one_family>
  <dtml-in names>
     <dtml-call
"REQUEST.set(_['sequence-item'],_.string.upper(REQUEST[_['sequence-item']]))">
    </dtml-in>
</dtml-with>

After:  firstmiddle=<dtml-var firstmiddle>
<dtml-comment><dtml-call update_family></dtml-comment>
<dtml-var standard_html_footer>
-- irene barg
Irene Barg		      Email:  ibarg@as.arizona.edu
Steward Observatory	      Phone:  520-621-2602
933 N. Cherry Ave.
University of Arizona	      FAX:    520-621-1891
Tucson, AZ  85721	      http://nickel.as.arizona.edu/~barg