[Zope] Very long URLs

Sedat Yilmazer sedat@kibele.com
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 18:24:24 +0300

 Sorry to jump in the middle of the conversation.. But just remark.

  passing URL's in the GET needs urlencoding since : and / is not =
alloaved in the parameter values ei

 www.yoursite.com/ascript?par1=3Dhttp://www.othersite.com/page2.html is =
not a valid URL. It must be written as

 =
www.yoursite.com/ascript?par1=3Dhttp%3a%2f%2fwww.othersite.com%2fpage2.ht=
ml=20

Sedat Yilmazer
Kibele Iletisim Sis. ve Serv. Ltd.

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-admin@zope.org]On Behalf Of
Thomas B. Passin
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 5:41 PM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Very long URLs

[<belen@netcom.no>]

> Thanks a lot for your help.
> I have tried your method but it does not  seem to work or I was unable
> to make it work :(
> I thought that REQUEST.form it is only used if the request was
> initialised by submittiong a form. But this long Url is created via a
> link not a form(get).
>
> Without passing nav1/nav2/qu1/qu2 to the DTMLDocument  called "Result"
> I try to <dtml-var "REQUEST.form['nav2']">. Nothing renders.
>
> Did you mean something else? Thanks again

Hmm, it should work, and I can do this using Cold Fusion (I haven't =
tried it
without a form in Zope yet, though).  When a form is submitted using =
GET,
the form variables are appended to the url exactly as you have shown, =
and
they should be available.

I suggest this:  try something ***simple*** first.  So create a page =
that
has a form, and use dtml instructions to look at the url so you can =
verify
that the variables were passed to the page.  Make some dtml page or =
method
that gives you a visible response to the form, showing the value of the
variable that you sent (I like to have the response open another window =
so I
can tell just what happened).  Then paste that url into your browser so =
as
to ask for the response without actually having any form on a page.

You should see the same response.  If this works, append another =
variable to
the url and see if you get both of them.

If this works, then check the exact syntax of your long url.  This will =
be
hard because it is so complex.  Compare each part to the short url =
example
that works.

Also, have Zope display the entire form (<dtml "REQUEST.form">) - every =
dtml
page has a REQUEST object and see if any part of you data gets into the
form.

At this point, you should have a good idea where something is not =
working.
If you haven't seen an approach to solving the problem, then post to the
list again.

Seems to me that there are two main possibilities:

1) Your computer-generated long url has some syntax error in it.
2) The url is too long for some buffer.

2) seems unlikely, but you never know.

Good luck,

Tom P