[Zope] Propietary software with Zope.

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
09 Jul 2001 23:12:39 -0600

On 10 Jul 2001 04:03:01 +0000, zope@zope.org wrote:
> Jerome Alet wrote:
> > 1 - You can develop proprietary software with Zope.
> Proprietary software with Zope.....
> How would someone develop "closed source" software with Zope. ?
> It would be easy to just twickle around with Data.fs and use "python
> zpasswd.py -u newuser -p newpasswd" on a fresh zope installation and take
> the "protected" Data.fs to get access into the source code. Or, I am
> missing something ?
> How can code be protected in Zope, at least to the same (relative) level
> of a compiled object code?
> This has been a discussion going in our company with some customers as to
> how to protect developed code...
> Comments are welcome.

Do not confuse  'proprietary' or 'closed source' with 'protected'. One
could develop code people can see, but has a non-open source license.

I can think of a few proprietary PHp and Perl products. Yes, you can see
the code, but legally, you are bound by license to not suck the code out
for your own version.

Bill