[Zope] Propietary software with Zope.

Oleg Broytmann Oleg Broytmann <phd@phd.fep.ru>
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 13:52:40 +0400 (MSD)

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Michel Pelletier wrote:
> > > Does this work?  Even if it didn't I bet that you could just use the .pyc
> > > files with dummy .py files created using touch and a file date older than
> > > the .pyc file.  In theory, this would work, right?
> >
> >    .pyc files are easily decompilabale.
>
> Into bytecode, which isn't that understandable unless you have a history
> in languages like FORTH.

   I only wanted to say that .pyc files is no protection.

> It's also easily encryptable.  Before Zope was open source, all our .pyc
> modules were encrypted.

   That I do not understand. Sooner or later you need to decrypt the code
to run, so you carry decryption key somewhere nere. Then I take the key and
decrypt your .pyc's.
   I am pretty sure that even hardware encryption is of no big help.

   This is the lesson all of us must take - bits are copiable. If you want
to make money from bits - develop a scheme that does not rely on secrecy.
Develop good license, update important information frequently (to make it
attractive to subscribe to your service instead of waiting for warez
sites), etc.
   If you rely on secrecy and uncopiable bits - sooner or later your
secrets will be published on warez sites, and this will ruin your
buisiness.

Oleg.
----
     Oleg Broytmann     http://www.zope.org/Members/phd/     phd@phd.pp.ru