[Zope] MS Access interfacing

Bruce bkd69@yahoo.com
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:55:38 -0000

I'm managing a site with lots of different info. It's Linux+Apache,
with a brand spankin' new Zope install.

I'd like to add more info and features to the site, most of it
dynamic, and just about all of it somebody else's responsibility to
maintain.

My best success so far has been with Excel spreadsheets. In this
case, the page maintainer stores it on an NT server, and I run a cgi
script that ftp's a copy over, and then it gets displayed via
xl2html. This has the advantage of making a local copy for a backup,
in case something untoward should happen, and the it's completely
transparent to the person responsible for maintaining the page. As
far as he's concerned, it just magically gets updated on the website.

This works, primarily because the spreadsheets are pretty much under
50kb.

Now I'm faced with searching a 20Mb Access database and displaying
selected records from it.

Downloading a new copy with every access at 20Mb is prohibitive, and
it's not updated so often as to be important. I can manually stash it
wherever necessary as needed.

The first question is where to stash it. I want to avoid installing
new software or services on the various machines, though I certainly
could, within reason and limitiation. Ideally, I want to just stash
it on the Linux server, and have Zope take care of the interface and
display. But looking at the Jet ODBC connectors, it appears that they
really want to live in Windows.

Which is all well and good. The database maintainer is using a
Windows machine, and I have our local NT server, either will do, but
I'd rather not install Python on either of them if I didn't have to,
though I can if needs must.

Which also brings me the question, how does my Linux Zope
installation talk to the Windows server hosting the database? By way
of the connector?

I hope this all isn't too basic...

Thanks
Bruce