[Zope] Macromedia SiteSpring

Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:25:05 -0700

Frankly, I don't see how a light-weight workflow system like that is really
all that Zope-like.  It provides, AFAIK, no development environment, no
object-database, no access to heterogeneous external data, no
content-repository.  It provides a "file-server-based approach," which of
course means all this product does is workflow and file versioning!

If anything, whatever sitespring is, it likely competes with the various
content management products for Zope and not Zope itself.  And those
products provide workflow - however, they also allow you to create custom
types of objects, something I am pretty sure you can't easily do in
sitespring...  My guess is in order to get something like SiteSpring to work
with similar functionality, you have to buy CF server, 3 zillion copies of
Dreamweaver Ultradev, and every other Macromedia product in existence and
you would still only be about 1/3 of the way...

Any .com production departments for companies big enough to need something
like SiteSpring would be better off using a CMS with a content repository,
or use a source-code versioning system instead of a static-file based
production management system.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Mario Valente [mailto:mvalente@ruido-visual.pt]
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2001 7:18 AM
To: Zope
Subject: [Zope] Macromedia SiteSpring

  Hi:

  Just a quick heads up so that you all are aware of a
 possible Zope competitor or, if you take a opposing view,
 to be aware of someone blatantly copying Zope ;-)

  Macromedia has launched its SiteSpring product which
 allows you to collaborate, manage and communicate
 when doing web projects.

  The site is at

     http://www.macromedia.com/software/sitespring/

  and, if you watch the Quicktime movie or install the demo,
 even the goddam menus are Zope-alike.

  Emulation aside, it does raise some issues, namely on the
 workflow/communicate functionalities. How is Zope going to
 cope ? Do we have products available that bring Zope up to
 the same level ?

  C U!

  -- Mario Valente