[Zope] Using Zope

Joel Burton jburton@scw.org
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:38:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Jen wrote:

> Thank you all for the helpful responses!  It's always nice when you at least have a direction to head.  I will have to take a look at all of the options you sent me and see what I can come up with.  I think that if we can find a way to make the interface like you have suggested Zope might fly.

> Thank you, thank you!  You have made this research project a bit more manageable.  :0)

Sure it can.

The HTMLDocument product (a snap to set up) makes this easy.

You can edit a Dreamweaver file normally and it will place the
"standard" header and footer around it. The Dreamweaver user
doesn't have to understand *any* of this; they just
design the content of the page, and all the navigation, etc.,
falls into place perfectly.

A page like

 <head>Hi!</head>
  <h1>News</h1>

might become automagically managled to

 <head>
  .. all the meta tags, etc. that the standard header has
  <title>Hi!</head>    <-- taken from their dreamweaver page
 </head>
      ... navigation column from standard header
      <h1>News</h1>

(and since it's easy to script Zope to handle neat navigation stuff,
their pages can have breadcrumbs/contextual navigation, etc.,
rather than the same header/footer for each page.)

We use this in our consulting section (www.scw.org/consult).
Our staff edit the content pages in Dreamweaver, and
they upload them via dreamweaver. These get "wrapped" with the
navigation on the top, left, and bottom.

hth,
--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>