[Zope] my Zope too slow behind Apache.

Richard Barrett R.Barrett@ftel.co.uk
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:44:06 +0100

At 11:43 18/07/2001 -0700, Ismet Dere wrote:
>hello all,
>
>my zope(2.3.x) is too slow servinng behind apache, compared to default way
>(port 8080) or am i missing something?

Your first question has to be: what is the performance of the apache server
doing the proxying? If that is heavily loaded, particularly if TCP/IP
connections are queueing on its port (80 presumably), then the services of
the proxied zope server as well as the apache provided services will be slow.

I've got a Zope server in out intranet running on a machine with a private
IP number. Parts of the zope database can be accessed from the outside via
ProxyPass through our public Apache server. Internal users going direct to
the zope server have to rate response. The performance connecting via the
proxy versus going direct is very noticeably worse at times of heavy load
on the proxying Apache machine.

In any event there is always some performance degradation because of the
extra TCP/IP connection that has to be established from proxy machine to
zope machine.