[Zope] Using Zope

Joel Burton jburton@scw.org
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:01:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Jen wrote:

> >The HTMLDocument product (a snap to set up) makes this easy.
>
> Ok...I hope you don't mind...I'm sure I'm asking some pretty "simple" questions,
> but I appreciate your help.  I take it that this product then takes out the extra tags
> from the Dreamweaver file?  How do I go about setting it up?  Other than the Dreamweaver
> do we need to purchase anything else?

Purchase something? No way! (the ".org" at the end of my email address
should give you some idea about my softwre budget. ;-) )  [see bottom]

HTMLDocument is a free product, available from zope.org. When you install
it, it allows you to add new documents to your zope site that, unlike
normal zope documents:

 * CANNOT do any programming. No DTML looping, etc. (If I can assume from
your email address that you're a ColdFusion developer, this would be like
not having access to the CFML tags, or #replacements#, etc.) This makes it
easy and secure for your nonprogrammers to create static pages, and
lightens some security fears.

 * their <head>...</head> is replaced by a standard one, except that you
keep their <title>..</title> content.

 * Their content is wrapped in your standard_html_header and
standard_html_footer. This doesn't have to just a "header" or "footer",
however, as many standarD_html_headers contain a left nav bar, logic to
handle breadcrumbs, etc.

After you've installed the HTMLDocument product, anytime you add a *.html
file, it automatically make it a HTMLDocument file in the zope
database. You can edit it through-the-web (for quick changes, etc.), or
you can go into Dreamweaver, and edit it/update it that way. Dreamweaver
uses FTP for remote editing, or (dreamweaver 4) can use WebDAV. [There's a
patch for Dreamweaver 4's initial buggy WebDAV support.]

Happy to help. Hope this clarifies things,

Additional purchase recommended (not Zope specific):

[ Dreamweaver WebDAV is very nice, but I think that WebDrive is a great
product for $40. It lets you treat a WebDAV or FTP site as a standard
drive letter under Windows. ]

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>