[Zope] MS Access interfacing

Joel Burton jburton@scw.org
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:04:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Casey Duncan wrote:

> Joel Burton wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, but with some fairness, setting up a database server and linking the
> > tables from Access can be tricky, as the "average user" can usually no
> > longer make any structural changes (even minor ones) to the tables except
> > through semi-arcane SQL commands or specialized programs specific to that
> > database server. [ MS SQLServer notwithstanding, but of course, then
> > you're into serious $$$]
>
> I was not talking about any database servers. Just linking one access
> database to
> another. It's all still in Access.

OIC. Yes, this is almost always a good idea, even w/all Access solutions.

> > We use linking to PostgreSQL backend at our org very successfully, but it
> > does limit the ability of my semi-power-users to make structural changes
> > (even minor ones) to our tables. Of course, that might be a *good*
> > thing... ;-)
> >

> There do exist GUI tools for Postgres I believe...

Yeah, but... PostgreSQL is rather limited in the ability to modify
structure w/o a dump-restore cycle. Hopefully it will get better. (In
fairness to MySQL, it's better at this, and Interbase is almost as easy as
Access.)

Casey: Love your Library prodcut, BTW. Very nice.

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>