[Zope] MS Access follow-followup

Bruce Dykes Bruce Dykes" <bkd69@yahoo.com
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 19:22:04 -0400

Thanks to all who replied.

It turns out that the NT server will be the new host of the database (just
for storing the master copy - not as a database server), and it turns out we
need to build a scheduling/calendaring and messaging app around it.

Before I found out this particular bit of info, I was playing around with
converting the database to XML. If you have no need of write access to the
database, either structurally, or just records, this isn't necessarily a bad
option.

But since we'll be hosting the database, and building this app around it,
the obvious solution is to install Zope on the NT box, and query it from the
Linux website as a client, and let Zope plus ODBC take care of all the mess.

I'll post my newbie questions separately, so as to keep them in the newbie
thread, and they are rather generic. But I have one or two intermediate
level questions.

1> Does Zope on Win32 have the ability to automatically execute an event,
such as send an automated email on a given date? I imagine the worst case
scenario is to have an external method that calls a script that writes an NT
Task Scheduler entry that sends out a form email with all the required
blanks filled in. I'm hoping that there's either a product or that Zope has
that functionality builtin, so I can manage it all from within Zope.

2> After reading the documentation for some of the Win32 based products, I
went ahead and installed the latest version of Python for Windows, as it
seems version 2.1.1 is better suited for interfacing with Windows objects
than 1.5, and I want to keep options open, such as maybe serving up Visio
diagrams or the like. Good idea or bad idea? Which will be used? I see that
some batch files point to C:\Program Files\website\bin\python.exe while
scripts executed on their own just call the registered Python interpreter,
which is 2.1.1. Is this bad?

Newbie questions to follow...

Thanks
Bruce