[Zope] NEWBIE questions

Joel Burton jburton@scw.org
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 00:21:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Bruce Dykes wrote:

> 1) How do I set up Zope to be my main FTP and web server? (primarily under
> Windows, but I imagine this might be useful for some Linux admin)
>
> I'm halfway to figuring this out. As in, I know to change the port from the
> default 8080, I know to create a new folder to contain the site and its
> documents. I should be getting that done soon. But there should be a
> paragraph in the FAQ someplace with these details. What I would really like
> is a nifty little GUI server control panel in the control panel. Something
> that lets me set ports, enable access control, enable or disable a protocol,
> set directories and aliases, etc, and a script that lets you suck up an
> existing website enmasse.
>
> OTOH, there may be a good reason why Zope isn't set up to be a primary
> webserver. I know the historical reason: that it's native environment is a
> *nix box running Apache or something similar. How about some design
> explication maybe?

Depends what you mean by "main" FTP & web server.

Many people don't run ZServer (aka Zope's internal server) on port 80
(standard http port) because they want to serve both Zope content and
static content, such as PHP sites or such, and they'll have
Apache/whatever on port 80 do a ProxyPass or Rewrite to get  to a Zope
server (usually on port 8080).

Zope has a nifty graphic interface, of course. Go to
http://127.0.0.1:8080/manage and go to it. :-) From here, you can
add/change/modify everything and even shutdown/restart the server.

If you want to graphic interface to control the startup options of Zope
(such what port it runs on, etc.), you could build something in a few
hours using Python + Tk or Python + wxPython. I find that editing start
(or start.bat under Windows) is fine for me.

There is a script, load_site.py, in the utils/ directory, for sucking up a
site enmasse.

Zope may have been first used under Unix, but it's a class A Windows app
in every way. Very few Zope things don't run under Windows.

> Now I've only been at this for two days. This list doesn't have anywhere
> near the Newbie Intimidation Factor of the Python list. 8-)

Welcome!

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>