[Zope] Ordered navigation solutions ?

Justin Heesemann jh@ionium.org
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 18:25:15 +0200

hi..

i  had to work with a commercial CMS for the last two month which had a nice
feature:  a  navigation  tree  which  could  be  used  for  creating  a site
structure.  It  was  basically a list like the <dtml-tree> tag would create,
with every entry pointing to a specific page of the website. I was wondering
how  to  emulate  something  like  this  in  zope,  and  found  it sometimes
diffucult:
I  was  just using folders for sitestructure, and then looping through these
folders (<dtml-in "REQUEST.PARENTS[-2].objectValues('Folder')"> e.g.)
Everything  was  fine,  when i discovered the fact, that i had no control on
how  this  list  was  returned.  Let's  imagine  a  Website with the primary
navpoints,   "About"  "Products"  "Support" "Sitemap"  in this order. How to
force  it  to  this  order ?? Or someone might want to add another navpoint,
let's say, "Contact", which should go right after "Support". I haven't found
a way of doing so.

The  best  thing  imo would  be  to  completly  separate the navigation from
the internal  "file  system"  structure  (ok,  it's  not a true filesystem..
but still..)
Are there any solutions out there solving this problem ?

Best Regards,

Justin Heesemann