FW: [Zope] Using Zope

Todd Cranston-Cuebas Todd_Cranston-Cuebas@citysearch.com
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:40:15 -0700

Joel,

Can you define what you mean by "structured text?" I'm always running into
situations where I don't want to give someone any control other than control
over the copy. They want to put in bolding, italics, etc., but beyond that I
don't want to let them do anything else.

Will structured text do the trick and if so, how does one implement this?

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Burton [mailto:jburton@scw.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 4:47 PM
To: Jen
Cc: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Using Zope

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Jen wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I've been given the task of exploring the use of Zope for a department
that we support.  I have just been going through some of the manuals and
online documentation.  The creation of pages seems very basic and
understandable from my viewpoint.  However, the material I have found
doesn't seem to address the use of Zope by non-HTML/basic scripting literate
people (or at least how to develope a framework for non-web literate people
to use).  The department that we have in mind couldn't tell a <p> tag from
an <ol> tag.  They have only ever used a WYSIWYG interface.  My question is,
does anyone know where I can find information or a "tutorial" on how to
create a framework like this?  So that your average secretary can just
update the actual text of the page much like in a WYSIWYG editor fashion?
Or are we better suited by a different product?

Two different scenarios:

* Zope can upload/download document via WebDAV and FTP, and there
are free add-ins that will let someone design a web page in FrontPage or
DreamWeaver, and once it's added (via these program's FTP/WebDav
interface), sets it up correctly.

or

* Zope can use "structured-text", which is a way for non-HTML-designers
to make simple pages. They don't have to know anything about HTML to do
so. You can't design a complicated web page w/lots of formatting, images,
etc. w/structured text, but it's perfect for users to enter descriptions,
biographies, etc., while still getting to bold text, italicize text,
make lists, etc.

> Thank you!
>
> Jenny

You're welcome. Have a nice evaluation. Zope is very very sweet.

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>