[Zope] install problem mailing list?

Reinoud van Leeuwen reinoud@xs4all.nl
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:46:24 GMT

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:08:48 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am running the latest FreeBSD4.3-STABLE and just installed the=20
>port of Zope.  zope/Zope2.3.3 and zope/Hotfix_2001-05-01
>
>I see it running by doing a "ps -ax", actually two copies, one as=20
>root and one as nobody:=20
>"/usr/loca/bin/python2.1 /usr/local/www/Zope/z2.py -D"
>
>First of all, I can find no docs on why two copies are running.=20
>
>Also, I get "Unable to connect..." to http://localhost:8080/manage.

Can you doublecheck that it is running on the port you suspect it to?
On my FreeBSD box the command sockstat gives
reinoud@spoetnik$ sockstat
USER     COMMAND    PID   FD PROTO  LOCAL ADDRESS         FOREIGN
ADDRESS     =20
[...]
nobody   python2. 18738   13 tcp4   192.168.1.11:8080     *:*

nobody   python2. 18738   14 tcp4   192.168.1.11:8021     *:*

if that works, try=20
telnet locahost 8080
and enter the command
GET /

you normally get a bunch of HTML back, but maybe some error message
(otherwise try looking in /var/log/messages or the Zope output (I
guess /usr/local/www/Zope/var/zope-output if you installed it from the
ports

>I thought Zope was supposed to run by itself, seperate of Apache? =20
>Just FYI, I killall httpd and restarted everything to see if Zope would=20
>run standalong without apache.

Yes, the default installation is without Apache. It is possible
'behind' Apache, but that takes some configuration

>I know that you guys are working on revamping the docs.  It is=20
>greatly appreciated.  In the meantime, is there an install problem=20
>list I can subscribe to?  I can't find one.  So should I post install=20
>problems here?
>
>Let me know what's up.  Your whole organization's configuration is=20
>awefully confusing, not to mention the docs themselves.  I hope=20
>you can understand my newbie frustration with your stuff and can=20
>provide a link to some info that could help me figure out why I=20
>followed the instructions, got Zope installed, but cannot connect to=20
>it to do anything with it.  Any help appreciated for this lost zope=20
>soul.

I printed out the Zope book and read it. see
http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/ZB/ for links to various formats.
It should be available by now at your local computer book store.

--=20