[Zope] Newbie Password Frustration

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 22:01:35 +0200

Hi!

If you use the non-rpm (binary or source) installs, the initial
username/password will be generated for you and displayed by the install
script. I'd usually install Zope this way. RPMs don't have too many benefits
when used with Zope ...

> I have the rpm of Zope 2.3.2-1 installed. Accessing http://localhost:8080
> brings up a Zope page, so I'm assuming the basic install is good.
>
> What I cannot figure out for the life of me is how to pass the
> administration password.

The password is passed at the login screen ;-)

> 2.) Perhaps more to the point, I can't figure where, exactly, Zope is
> looking for this user/password data;

Zope looks for passwords in the Zope Object Database and (for the initial or
emercency user) in the access file (the access file has to be located in the
Zope root directory, wherever that is with your RPM distro ...)

So if you don't get in, creating a new user with zpassword.py should work.
Maybe your access file is just at the wron place or so?

In most cases, an RPM install creates some docs in usr/shared/doc or so. At
least for SuSE I think that was where the standard password was documented

?

> I have searched docs, etc--but nothing is getting me past this impediment.
> What am I doing wrong? Is the administrator user still defaulted to
> username 'superuser?' Do I create this as a system account on my linux
> system and put a password in /etcpasswd & /etc/shadow? If not, where does
> it need to be?

No. Just "access" file or Zope DB. As soon as your Zope is running, you
could then add other authentication sources ...

Joachim