[Zope] ColdFusion - I want to remain a Zopista, please help

Tommy Johnson tommy@7x.com
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:20:05 -0800

I happen to like ColdFusion, and haven't had a problem with it running on NT
or Solaris. Wonder what happened in your situation (not a bash, just curious
as to what went wrong)

To be honest, I am split between ColdFusion and Zope. I currently look at
the needs of my customers, and then decide as to which tool I will use to
solve their concerns.

I like Zope because it's object oriented. Simply put, it's easier to design
a site, because you have a framework on which to build. I didn't have that
with ASP. But, on the other hand, with ColdFusion, you could follow the
Fusebox standard - which would provide you with a framework on which to
build. Fusebox is good, but only if you stick to the standard (and we all
know about developers sticking to the standard!) However, Fusebox isn't
completely object oriented; I have to hand it to them - it tried hard, but
is in no way a match for the power of Zope.

But, I have to say that the ability to write CustomTags was cool. I could
try to design my site in more of an object oriented fashion, and could
actually get a lot done. And you could usually find free custom tags on
Allaire's site that did some wild things. Usually it was like plug and play,
so if things were done right (following the standard), you could produce
code that was pretty close to being object oriented. It just lacked the
power of acquistion, but in all other aspects, it was pretty good. Now, I
haven't had the time to learn Python yet. However, when I do, I know it will
be more powerful than CustomTags.

Now for documentation, well, Zope is getting better. I can usually find what
I want now, and when I can't, this list has been a help. Thanks to all of
you (Casey, Dieter, Andy M., Chris M., etc..)

I like ColdFusion's simple database connections. I'm trying to connect Zope
to Oracle, and I'm having some problems. can't pass judgement yet - except
that it was much simplier to do it in ColdFusion (from the CF Admin
interface).

The only REAL thing that I prefer is ColdFusion's comments.(See the post
going on about dtml-comments) But, that too, can be fixed, I'm sure. But for
now, dtml-comments are hidious, which makes me comment code with HTML
comments. But, if you view the HTML source, you'll see those comments. Oh
well...

And this is one is for Seb -->  ColdFusion allows you to script as well. So
if you don't like using their tags, by all means, write scripts to do what
you want!

HTH

Tommy

Innovation: