[Zope] Future watch: how will python division change affectzo pe?

Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:50:43 -0700

This has nothing to do with English; frankly, just let a loosely typed
language realize just that in it's arithmetic philosophy...  those python
programmers formerly indoctrinated with Pascal's div and mod operations, for
example, might just enjoy a common-sense change consistent with the notion
that in 99% of everyday real world math, an integer is just an easy to write
notation for a float...

I'll stop my rant..
Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: marc lindahl [mailto:marc@bowery.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 11:40 AM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Future watch: how will python division change
affectzo pe?

We're not talking about third graders, we're talking about 7th graders and
up - C programmers, C++, Java, even BASIC.

They "know" that 1/2==0, but that 1.0/2 == 1/2.0 == 0.5.  This is because,
mathematically, the numeric representation is really floor(1.0/2.0).

These are the people that will be programming Python, not english majors.
English is not a programming language.