[Zope] ColdFusion - I want to remain a Zopista, please help

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 16:16:19 +0100

Well, it was some time ago and I can't even remember the details.  It
was probably a lot of bad luck, but it was enough to scar me for
life.  I just wanted a rant, so mine is not a balanced view ;-)

However, I'll try and rake my memory and be a bit more specific.

1) The performance on an E450 under moderate load was something like
   60% of the performance of the same app on a PII/233.  This is a bit
   like comparing chalk and cheese, but we also found that response time
   scaled linearly with load on NT, and exponentially on the E450,
   IIRC.  A lot of other people on mailing lists reported similar
   results.  Admittedly these were all seat-of-the-pants comparisons.

2) We were using Spectra v1, which was absolutely not supported
   properly on Solaris, despite what it said on the box.  It took
   about a week to install it properly, and it had a dependency on
   iPlanet Directory Server, which they didn't admit to for months,
   and which meant we had to spend some ridiculous amounts of money on
   an iDS license (up to $1m, if I remember correctly - to support a
   40k system...)  It was also *full* of bugs.

3) The technical support was appalling.  There really, literally was
   *one* person who seemed to know anything about their Solaris
   support *in the world*!  Other tech support contacts kept telling
   me to do things like reboot the server to see if that worked.

The whole episode left me with the impression that Allaire was rushing
out products without any real technical underpinnings.  Like I said, I
was probably unlucky, so feel free to ignore me.

I didn't like custom tags as a programming paradigm, and much prefer
the ability to write pythonscripts etc in Zope.  It had pretences to
OO style without providing any of the real benefits, and it was
stiflingly procedural for my tastes.  It reminded me of programming in
ASP.  This is very subjective, though.

Hope that was a bit more helpful.

seb

* Tommy Johnson <tommy@7x.com> [010725 18:30]: