[Zope] Problem with regular expressions in python scripts (get an unauthorized error message)

Joel Burton jburton@scw.org
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:33:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Arnulf Heimsbakk wrote:

> I'm trying to use a regular expression in python-script. It gives me an
> unauthorized error every time I try to run it. Saving the script works
> without errors. What do I do wrong..?!!

Regular expressions cannot be used in Python Scripts because of security
problems.

It's very easy to write a regular expression that uses all of the memory
on your computer, or that goes into a near-infinite loop. Since
PythonScripts are designed to be written by average content designers,
this would give them the power to take down your site.

IIRC, you can add modules to
/lib/python/Products/PythonScripts/standard.py and then they can be made
available to Python Scripts. I'd take the security warning to heart,
though, unless you trust all of your managers.

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>