[Zope] Major security flaw in Zope 2.3.2

Fred Yankowski fred@ontosys.com
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:15:21 -0500

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 05:06:55PM +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> Just sending a hashed value does not make it any more secure, as
> said hashed value is as easy to sniff as plaintext.

Sorry, I over-simplified my description of the PHPlib scheme.

  Server:
     Generate new challenge value.
     Send login form with challenge value as value of hidden form field.

  Client:
     Collect username and password on form.

     If Javascript enabled, create MD5 hash of password value, create
     MD5 hash from concatenation of username, MD5-hashed password, and
     challenge.  Save latter hash value in hidden form field.

  Server:
     If hidden form field has a value, create MD5 hash from username,
     password (from database, stored already MD5-hashed), and
     challenge; compare that value against the one sent by the client
     to authenticate.

     If hidden form field has no hash value (client didn't run
     javascript code), do MD5 hash on clear-text password sent by
     client and compare against database value for given username to
     authenticate.

--
Fred Yankowski           fred@OntoSys.com      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370