[Zope] hash and username variables

Laurie Nason laurien@tiger.bcm.tmc.edu
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 12:57:58 -0500

I don't know about the hash method - but dtml-call is not supposed to return
anything you should try
	<dtml-var hash(text)>
and as for part b of your question, check out the AUTHENTICATED_USER
variable
(try <dtml-var name="AUTHENTICATED_USER">)

hth
Laurie

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-admin@zope.org]On Behalf Of
Konstantinos Margaritis
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 11:43 AM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: [Zope] hash and username variables

Hi,
  I am a new user of zope, and I have some questions:

a) how do I call hash on some text object. What I want to do is generate a
text variable from an input form, then hash this and get a
(hopefully) unique 32-bit integer number. I want to generate unique keys,
as the text is unique, and the hash integer will much faster to pass
around.
I tried <dtml-call hash(text)>
but it produces nothing. Do I have to do this in a python method?

b) is there a variable that holds the current user's name? like

<dtml-var username>

but it doesn't work.

PS. I tried searching the lists and on yahoo and on the tutorials and on
the zopebook, but I didn't find much information on hash and dtml-call. So
please I would appreciate some help on this.