[Zope] Re: Andreesen must die...

Paz paz@chello.nl
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 00:47:00 +0200

Very good point. It's true that something done right the first time is
better, and going to full nine yards to achieve the full goal instead of
this century's Henry Ford'ism of de-engineering is admirable... But,
remember that HTML as a standard was a hack to begin with. One big hack. A
basis that came after the complexities of SGML and a possible solution to
bringing ARPNET (its not my day, so did i get the lingo right?) to the mass
it did. My point here is that Andressen's 'keep it simple stupid' rendering
engine and MS's 'assume the worst about the HTML and render bloody anything'
are both required steps towards something better. More to the original
point, the masses standardized VHS tapes because they were cheaper to
manufacture and cheaper to buy. Sony and Toshiba picked up on it right away.
Mozilla gone Netscape was a bid for the computerized VHS against the Beta MS
monster IE that we all see more than anything in our logs. These
'ill-concieved graphical features' are yours and my idea of a cover up over
faulty implementation of a standard, or even lack there-of, but
demographically, but its those features that rope the masses into pulling
the stats for investors to steer there cool millions towards this guy
instead of that. The user's dont care anyhow about a feature until Wired
magazine or Howard Stern on the radio told them to. We just have to sit and
wait for the dust to settle.

All I'm saying is that the web experts will spurn the ideas to excel the
web, the public will smash it down becuase they dont get it, and then years
later another medio-bloke will regurgitate it and be the next George Nice.
So in the meantime, though NS4 is usually my worst day-mare, it at least
'gives me some good ideas in the meantime to NOT do it that way the
next'. -Edison.

Good night
Paz