[Zope] More ZSyncer stuff

Andy McKay andym@ActiveState.com
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:52:49 -0700

> I have 'big' plans for it also. <s>
> The problem right now is time of course.  Thankfully Paul is
> helping get the kinks out. :-)

Great, me and Gregor Heine are slowly getting around to getting a
Sourceforge project up and running for this...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zsyncer not much there yet.

> Could you not mark an objects container out of date when the
> object is out of date?
> Thousands of object would probably create a lot of wasted
> overhead so you could set a falg if the container was already
> marked?

Hmm... you couldnt really set a flag since that means changing the
containers behavour.

But the you could figure it out programmatically from looking at the
containing objects. But the destination server would have to report more
information back to the source to calculate this (since my destination
servers are production servers I like to keep this to a minimum) and
secondly how about sub-sub-folders, if there is something 5 levels down that
has changed, how many containerish objects up should it go saying its
changed. If im not careful I will be doing a very expensive comparison of
the whole ZODB.... hmmmm.

> This sounds like a much better solution. Can you do this with
> DTML Methods, Python Scripts ...?

It is, theres the thing... a patch to SimpleItem, ObjectManager and half of
Zope and we are away.

Cheers.
--
  Andy McKay.