[Zope] The Set tag, DC?

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:55:35 +0100

Peter Bengtsson wrote:

> > Actually, the new situation has been around since 2.3.0:
> > If you need to do this kindof thing, chances are you doing something
> > business-logic-y, in which case you should be using a PythonScript ;-)
>
> Yeah yeah. I know, but I did too mention "for newbies", which I consider
> myself not to be.

This point is _the_ most important thing to stress to new users...

> DC changed their mind about the so annoying superuser account. Not because
> it was technically wrong, but because it was confusion to beginners

That was arguably technically wrong and there was no positive side to it...

> The more newbies (users of Zope) the richer I get, because my skills
> increase in value. So, more users is very important to me.

...yes, but if you give someone a loaded gun and point it at their heads for
them, they may well pull the trigger by accident and then you have one less Zope
user ;-)

If you encourage good programming practices from the start, new users won't end
up with a complete birds nest of DTML that means nothing to them or anyone else.
And if they don't end up in that position, they're less likely to look at Zope
as 'messy' and 'difficult to understand' before running off to find a saner
solution. Maybe in Perl, which would probably be cleaner ;-)

cheers,

Chris