[Zope] calling zope

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 20:08:13 +0200 (CEST)

jr@i-bucks.com writes:
 > I am new to zope.   I am looking for an application server.
 >
 > I want to know if I can call zope objects and methods from a script run
 > OUTSIDE of zope (say python, to make it easy).  Is this possible?
You can.

You have already been pointed to XML-RPC.
I think, you should go for this solution.

But you can also use Python directly to access the ZODB.

As only a single process can open the ZODB at any time
(protected by a lock), you must either bring down
Zope while your Python script makes modifications
or you need to use ZEO. In this case, both
Zope and your Python script would access the storage
not directly but indirectly through the ZEO server.

 > I need to have basic
 > security enforced (userid identification or userid/password).
If you expose the ZODB interface directly, there will not
be authentication or security restrictions.
If your user get access to the Python interpreter and
is allowed to "import ZODB", all security is lost.

That's a major reason to have the API external, e.g. through XML-RPC.

Dieter