[Zope] ZPT: ready for prime time?

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 02:45:34 +0200

Hi!

My first experience with ZPT is somewhat mixed. I like the general concept
(i.e. making it possible to edit page templates with a WYSIWYG editor while
retaining the Zope-specific tags), but the syntax is a bit strange (and, as
you pointed out, not documented well). The lack of documentation surprised
me a bit.  After all, DC has started to establish certain standards for
documentation ...

I think ZPT work very well if you usually have a relatively simple page
layout (like having a standard header and footer). I am not yet sure how it
can work with more dynamic sites, like most of ours. We usually have not
just a header/footer, but dynamic components for navigation, news boxes,
etc. In the Kontentor framework, even the actual web content is built
dynamically from header, text block, and image objects. ZPT's approach might
not work for those sites.

Joachim