[Zope] A Tale from IBM land...

Peter Sabaini sabaini@niil.at
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 01:21:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Chris McDonough wrote:

> Think of a high-level executive making a decision about buying a content
> management system like a foreigner on a business trip in a strange
> land.  Everyone is bugging him to eat at their restaurant.  He
> recognizes none of the names of these restaurants, and doesn't really
> even understand what kind of food each restaurant is selling.  But then
> he sees the McDonald's "golden arches" (MS/IBM).. and he knows that.  He
> knows McDonalds isn't the best food, but it's a safe bet in a foreign
> country when all he wants to do is eat and move on.

Additionally from what I've seen they dont even get McDonalds' value
-- they get standard burgers and some half-baked fries (*cough*
Broadvision*cough*OpenMarket*cough*), at a cost that would buy them a
week of food at a first class restaurant if only they knew their way
around.

Put another way, they hope by paying big bucks (and by looking at
reports that declare product X as "Best Product Of Y", wonder how much
THAT costs) theyre safe from failure. Which is a total mistake.

My somewhat bitter 0.02euro.

cheers peter.

peter sabaini, mailto: sabaini@niil.at