[Zope] A Tale from IBM land...

Mike Krohn mike@krohn.org
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:39:56 -0700

The trouble with being a marketer is that you get advice
from everyone. We all think we know how to do it. But (with
humility) here's a thought that might be relevant:

I've just done a stint at a big corporate. They use
Vignette, BroadVision, ASP, ColdFusion. Not Zope. Corporate
strategy dictates that they take what they perceive as the
least risky choice for their main e-commerce
infrastructure - can't risk the public face of the company.

Apache is in there. But it is going to be a long time before
Zope is seen as less risky than, say, Vignette. Technically
better, more productive, sure. But a perception of less
risky? No. Uncomfortable but true, I believe. So the major
infrastucture for e-commerce in big corporates is not a
market that Zope can make a big impression on directly. Need
to slide round the side.

This company had a host of smaller intranet projects often
on shoestrings and often staffed by interns. These projects
have different criteria. Risk is less important on many
intranet sites. Cost is important. Nimbleness is important.
Zope could win here. We would have to be careful with the
messages so as not to get cornered in a niche but it could
lead to the big platform implementations, too.

I managed several of this sort of projects. I'd never heard
of Zope or I would have used it. I expect there are lots
like me still choosing Vignette (as I did) even though it
was expensive and when Zope would have been a more
appropriate choice. So how about concentrating some
marketing effort on small-medium intranet projects in big
companies? And the people who commission and manage them.

Finally, on buzzwords, I'd say go easy on Python. It scares
people. Say Perl, say XML, say any other ML. Who cares what
BroadVision is written in? Why should we care with Zope?
(someone is going to hate that).
....Mike