[Zope] zope interface suggestion

Peter Bengtsson mail@peterbe.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:08:09 +0200

I disagree.
Then there would be two ways to move around objects. With the links and with
buttons.
This would be bad usability with all the confusion and the ZMI would be more
cluttered.

I suggest that you think of a skin to do this.
If you are the only one using the Zope, you can apply this hotfix:

- create a folder in the Products directory called: "ZMIHotfix1"
- in that folder copy lib/python/OFS/dtml/main.dtml and do the changes to
that file.
- now create a file called __init__.py and do the following:

# HotFix 1
# change the main.dtml ZMI template

from OFS.ObjectManager import ObjectManager
from Globals import DTMLFile
ObjectManager.manage_main = DTMLFile('main', globals())

Restart Zope and if you've made changes to main.dtml, they should show up
automatically.

To debug this, run Zope with -D and you can change the ZMIHotFix1/main.dtml
and the interfaces changes with a simple refresh.

This can probably be extended using cookies or something so that if you
share the Zope with a newbie, you can get different interface. But then my
tip might not be completely the right.

I think I'll now put this into HowTo or a Tip on zope.org if it's working.

Peter