[Zope] Quickstart needs updating!

Joel Burton jburton@scw.org
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 12:30:24 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Jeff Sasmor wrote:

Yep, it sure does need updating!

>    "Pluggable brains" (sounds cool but daunting)

Pluggable brains are still called that, are are pretty
straightforward. They're discussed in the new Zope Book, in the relational
databases section, and in the (old, but IMHO still decent) ZSQL docs.

They're also Quite Cool, giving a nice level of data abstraction, and a
way to give ZSQL methods an 'index_html' method, so you can use a URL like

http://foobar/staff/by_name/joel

to get my page, rather than having to say

http://foobar/staff/by_name/joel/staffInfo

(assuming that staff=a folder, by_name=a ZSQL method w/direct traversal
turned on, joel=primary key to look up in by_name, staffInfo=a DTML method
to show a page about me)

>   "An exiting new development being worked on for Zope is The Lever... "
>
>   (I have been working with Zope for well over a year and
>    still don't know what THIS is....)

Yeeps. Never heard of it.

>  "Tabula or Aqueduct "
>    (You have to dig deep to figure out what these are)

>     " With Zope and Aqueduct "
>    "Aqueduct Database Methods"

Aqueduct is That Which Became ZSQL Methods (IIRC). Remember, Zope started
as different products, hence the whole lingering "bobo" and
"principia" names.

>   And Confera:  this could be changed to something newer, I was under the
> impression that
>   Confera was sort of obsolete.

I get that sense, too, though there is no death notice for it. Does
Confera have any adavantage/disadvantage over the other discussion
lists?

Amen, fellow Zopista. Of course, this is an Open Source product, so
I guess we could do something abou it... :-)

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>