[Zope] Newbie

Andrew Williams ajwms91@hotmail.com
Thu, 01 Mar 2001 20:46:32 -0500

Adam:

Check out this HowTo:
http://www.zope.org/Members/Caseman/client_script_howto

I personally find it is pretty easy to use javascript with Zope.  Basically,
if I want to use javascript (like mouse-overs), I create a dtml document
containing the javascript I want

Then, I modify the "standard_html_header" method and add something like
this:

<dtml-if js_Rollover_Insert>
  <dtml-var js_Rollover>
</dtml-if>

Then, whatever DTML document I want to insert the javascript code for the
mouse-over (ie "index_html"), I add a property called "js_Rollover_Insert".
The value is not necessary, I use "Yes" for clarity.

What then happens is that whenever that "index_html" is called, the property
js_Rollover_Insert is added to the namespace.

Then, as Zope goes through the namespace rendering objects, you eventually
hit standard_html_header.  Since the property js_Rollover_Insert is in the
namespace, the <dtml-if> statement will evaluate to true and render whatever
is in the object "js_Rollover".

Hope I haven't confused you...

Just as a side note, I started out using IIS/Delphi to write a web
application for the LAN group I was in at the time.  I did a pretty good job
of writing the site; however, once I discovered Zope, and got through the
learning curve, I was able to rewrite the site in less than 1/2 the time it
took me to write the CGI scripts/ISAP DLL's.  It was also a *lot* easier to

If you are considering using a DB to store your data in, Zope will *really*
outshine writing CGI/ISAPI in Delphi.

Hope this helps,

Andrew Williams

>From: Adam Getchell <AdamG@hrrm.ucdavis.edu>
>To: "'zope@zope.org'" <zope@zope.org>
>Subject: [Zope] Newbie
>Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 17:42:24 -0800
>
>Hello all,
>
>I'm new to Zope, and reading as voraciously as I can the breadcrumbs, FAQs,
>and the online book.
>I'm also up against a timeline, a week to be exact, to compare/contrast
>Zope
>with an IIS/Delphi solution.
>
>Would someone point me to the correct RTFM or FAQ to go about doing the
>equivalent of javascript image rollovers?
>
>Thanks!
&Send.