[Zope] Getting client browser type

Etienne Labuschagne etiennel@geospace.co.za
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:22:26 +0200

Unfortunately I need to have some JavaScrapt (intentional sp) in my website.
Just about every browser have it's own implementation of this language so
one ends up writing a script for every browser (YUK!).  I don't want to
check this in JavaScript and use ifs to decide what code to use as a lot of
code is then downloaded to the client that his browser never use.  My idea
is to have scripts for every browser (where they differ) and just send the
correct script to the client.

So, the decision which script to send must be made by Zope.  I can use
JavaScript itself to check what the browser is, but when I know, how do I
tell Zope that?

Unfortunately I cannot do without JavaScript.

Regards
Etienne

-----Original Message-----
From: Tino Wildenhain [mailto:tino@wildenhain.de]
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 6:17 PM
To: Etienne Labuschagne
Cc: Zope user list (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Zope] Getting client browser type

Hi Etienne,

Etienne Labuschagne wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I have thought of that, but doesn't those change with every new release of
> specific browser?  I guess one will just have to keep up to date with the
> browser type strings for every new browser launched :(
>
> Thanks anyway
> Etienne

For statistical reasons it is good enough ;) But dont always believe
what
you 're getting :-)

The question is - what are you about to do with the data?
Please dont this information for such sites that tell you:

"Go away and get this ... specific browser!"

Did you ask why almost all browsers nowadays call themself "Mozilla" ?
;)

Regards
Tino