[Zope] SQLTEST is case insensitive?

The Doctor What docwhat@gerf.org
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:09:36 -0600

* Dieter Maurer (dieter@handshake.de) [010307 16:39]:
> FThe Doctor What writes:
>  > The problem is two fold:
>  > 1) ID = 1 should be "ID" = 1 so that PostgreSQL will treat it as a
>  > case sensitive string.
> This was discussed some time ago (--> list archives).
> Changing "dtml-sqltest" to enclose the column name in double quotes
> would break lots of code (as many people rely on the
> case insensitive interpretation).

But consider.  A feature is *missing* currently (the ability to use
sqltest and other dtml-sql* vars) with case sensitive databases.
Would adding a toggle that says "Use double quotes" be a bad thing?

Frankly, I can't imagine anyone relying on having all their queries
dropped to lowercase.  Why would someone, who avoided using cases
suddenly switch to throwing upper case characters into their sql
queries?

>  > 2) ID = 1 should really be "URL"."ID", but I can't figure out how to
>  > pass that through sqltest!
> You know the "column" argument to "dtml-sqltest".
> It can be used to provide an alternativ column name.
> The quotes will make difficulties, however, as
> they would be interpreted as DTML syntax.

Obviously, if DTML had a method for adding quotes as arguments, this
wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

> You can use vanilla DTML to emulate "dtml-sqltest"
> like for example:

>      "URL"."ID" = '<dtml-var ID sql_quote>'

Thereby removing the whole benifit of using ZOPE and ZSQL objects.

Thanks for, at least, telling me that the problem is in ZSQL and
Zope, not the DA.

Ciao!

--
"There are more things in heaven and earth,
Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

The Doctor What: Need I say more?                http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org                                                   KF6VNC