[Zope] Faster development cycles (Was: [Long] Development in Zope)

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 17:27:39 +0100

On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 12:05:40AM +0100, Cees de Groot wrote:
> My first attempt was to do everything through-the-web. Needless to say, this
> isn't exactly a way to get great code - the web browser sits in the way of
> refactoring, getting a birds-eye view of your code, quick browsing, etcetera.
>
> So, I binned version 0.0.1 and write 0.1.0, which was completely in Python -
> the domain model neatly separated out from the application model, which was
> a Zope product. This was better, but still sucks because the DTML is all
> on the filesystem (so a TTW webdesigner can't access it and make it
> better looking) and you are constantly restarting Zope.
>
> Therefore, I'm converting it into what I think should become 1.0.0 which
> still has all the code in Python form on the filesystem, but the DTML
> is pulled "up" into the ZODB and the one big product has been refactored
> in four small products, for more Zope-level flexibility. It still sucks
> because you're constantly restarting Zope, but at least my webdesigner can
> hack around.

Note that:

a) If Zope is running in debug mode, file-based DTML loaded into HTMLFile
   or DTMLFile objects will be reloaded if the disk-version has changed.

b) If you use Shane Hathaway's Refresh product, you can have your Zope
   Products reloaded, either manually or automatically when changed:

     http://www.zope.org/Members/hathawsh/Refresh

Using both tricks will significantly speed up your development cycle; you
normally will only have to restart Zope if you make changes to the Zope
core itself or when adding new Products.

--
Martijn Pieters