[Zope] IE caching issues

Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:47:50 +0000

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:16:52 -0700 (MST), kosh <kosh@aesaeion.com>
wrote:

>Not sure if this is a zope issue or not. I have some people doing work =
on
>a site developed in zope however ie is often showing the wrong version =
of
>the page. I followed the caching instructions in
>http://www.zope.org/Members/htrd/howto/caching and it works on every
>browser except ie. I have checked and they have set the browser to check
>on every page view however often it does not even hit the webserver. I
>have had them hit reload while watching server logs and no connect was
>attempted. I then tried it in vmware using nt 4 with ie 5.5 and it does
>the same thing also. Even when the cache is deleted on ie and it is told
>to run with no cache it seems to cache the documents somehow.

This is the clue.... If you are deleting the IE cache but still seeing
the old page, then it must be cached somewhere other than IE.

Do these users use an external cache? are they behind an ISPs
intercepting proxy?

You say that this site has been under development.... a common problem
when developing cacheable content is that it is hard to recover if you
set your cache-control headers to be too permissive. Once your pages
are in someones cache with a 12 month expirey time, its very hard to
get them out again.

Does your problem continue if you change the url to your site?

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com